Rev. Dr. Matthew Richard has been the pastor of Zion Lutheran Church of Gwinner, ND since November 2013. He was previously a Senior Pastor in Sidney, Montana, an Associate Pastor in Williston, North Dakota, and an Associate Pastor in Rancho Cucamonga, California.
Luther Tower at Concordia Seminary
He received his undergraduate degree in Finance and Economics from Minot State University in North Dakota. After a short career working as an Investment Representative for a company of AIG, he moved to Minnesota to obtain his Master Divinity from Lutheran Brethren Seminary, MN. In 2005, a year after graduating from seminary, he was ordained into the ministry by the CLBA. In 2013 he was certified for ministry in the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod. Furthermore, in 2013 he obtained a Doctor of Ministry Degree from Concordia Seminary, St. Louis MO. His doctor of ministry thesis was on exploring the journey of American Evangelicals into Confessional Lutheran thought.
Pastor Richard finds great joy in writing and speaking. You will see many of his articles and video teachings on Brothers of John The Steadfast, Worldview Everlasting, PM Notes, Lightning Cuts, and The Catechized Life. You may also hear him speak on various subjects on programs such as: Issues, Etc., Steadfast Throwdown, Cross Defense, etc...
PM Notes is a blog and online resource from the desk of Pastor Matt Richard. Its current readership is around 20,000 pageviews per month. The threefold purpose of the blog is to: evangelize individuals who are caught in Moral Therapeutic Deism, provide comfort to "Post-Evangelicals" in the Gospel and strengthen Monergists in the Lutheran Confessions.
The blog originally began as a result of weekly devotional thoughts, called PM Notes that were sent out to parishioners through email. After the challenges of keeping email addresses up-to-date, the complications of spam filters and the plethora of devotions, it was decided to compile all the material into a centralized location. The devotional thoughts continue to this date yet through this new medium of blogging. Since beginning the blog, it has expanded to include a resource/archive site that hosts several hundred articles, teaching sheets, The Lutheran Lexicon and other various resources. CLICK HERE to learn more about the blog or CLICK HERE for the blog's Site Map.
- Biblical Interpretation
- Theology of the Cross
- Epistemology and Worldview
The Threefold Purpose of The Blog
- Evangelize individuals ensnared in Moral Therapeutic Deism
- Provide Comfort To Post-Evangelicals In The Gospel
- Strengthen Monergists In The Lutheran Confessions
- Martin Luther (16th Century Reformer)
- Martin Chemnitz (16th Century Reformer)
- C.F.W. Walther (19th Century Confessional Lutheran)
- Francis Shaeffer (Reformed Apologist)
- Gerhard Forde (Lutheran Theologian & Author)
- Brennan Manning (Former Franciscan Priest & Author)
- Norman Nagel (Lutheran Theologian & Professor)
- Gene Edward Veith (Confessional Lutheran & Author)
- Tom Baker (Confessional Lutheran & Host of Law & Gospel)
- Rod Rosenbladt (Lutheran Theologian & Host of WHI)
- Michael Horton (Reformed Theologian & Host of WHI)
- William Willimon (Bishop Of The United Methodist Church)
- John Kleinig (Lutheran Theologian & Author)
- Robert Kolb (Lutheran Theologian & Author)
- Issues, Etc (Christ-Centered, Cross-Focused Talk Radio)
- Lutheran Brethren Seminary; Fergus Falls, MN (2001-2004)
- Concordia Seminary: St. Louis, MO (2011-2013)
- Concordia Theological Seminary: Fort Wayne, IN (2013)
- How Do We View Christianity? (Plan B)
- The Book of Concord
- 1518 Heidelberg Disputation
- Walther's Law and Gospel Theses